South of US 50 (minus the Canon City area) and west of I-25. Divided into regions according to highway access.
- SH 149 Silver Thread Scenic Byway from US 50 to US 160 at South Fork. Eastern access to the Alpine Loop.
- US 550 – the San Juan Skyway – Ouray Area. Western access to the Alpine Loop.
- SH 145 and the San Juan Skyway – Telluride Area.
- Summer wildflowers and vistas in American Basin off the Cinnamon Pass Rd.
- Incredible vistas from Engineer Pass and Oh! Point.
- For the adventurous, scenic side roads on the way to Silverton.
- The entire area is rich in mining history and its remnants.
SH 62 from Placerville to US 550 to Durango
Ouray, surrounded on three sides with 13,000 ft peaks, is known for its large natural hot springs, picturesque Victorian architecture and the Ice Park.
- Spectacular wildflower displays and scenery in Yankee Boy Basin
- Exceptional views along the Million Dollar Hwy, Ophir Pass Rd, Dallas Divide
- Fall foliage along Owl Creek Pass Rd, US-550
SH 145 from Placerville to Durango
Telluride is a National Historic District located in a box canyon surrounded by towering peaks. Telluride also hosts music, art, film, food, balloon, hang gliding, mushroom, and photography events and festivals.
- Bridal Veil Falls is a must see.
- Wildflowers in Gold King Basin
- Fall foliage on Last Dollar, Silver Pick, and Ophir Pass
- Skiing or sledding on the Dunes. Morning and evening shadows.
- Ranger guided tours of the cliff dwellings.
- Sheer cliffs of the spectacular Black Canyon.
- Waterfalls, access to the Alpine Loop and fantastic scenery along the Silver Thread Scenic Byway.